My Blog List

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Three Toes




I recall with the greatest clarity of mind, the chance meeting I had with Three Toes, an old mountain lion which lived deep within the swamp and bog infested area of the mountains back home. The huge cat had earned this name because he was able to outsmart those that ventured into the forest and swampy areas in hopes of trapping him. Many a trapper would stop by the village and tell tales about a huge demon cat that stalked them and often destroyed their trap lines.
*
 The story teller of the village claimed that the huge cat was neither man nor beast and that it was in actual fact, an evil spirit that preyed on the souls of the helpless. The animal began venturing closer to the village; live stock started to vanish without a trace. The Elders decided that it needed to be destroyed and sent a hunting party consisting of ten of the best trackers into the forest in search of the rogue cat. The hunters were never seen again and the only evidence of the capture of the mountain lion was some of its toes that were found which were left behind in one of the traps use by those sent to destroy it
*.
 My mother, medicine woman of the village would always tell me to be careful of, Old Three Toes while out running in the woods with my friends the wolves. “Don’t stray too far from the pack child. Make sure you keep a watchful eye out for Three Toes! He will eat you if he catches you alone and unprotected by the pack! She would say.”
*
Yes mother, I’ll be careful I would always reply as I ran off in the direction of the forest in hopes of playing with the wolf pack. I knew only too well in my mind that I would not see this beast that had long become a legend in the mountainous area of home. I had never even come across any tracks from such a creature. So in my mind, I did not believe it to really exist.  Not once did I think it could be a threat to me the child of the wolf. After all I spent almost all my free time running with the wolf pack in the forest and knew just about every square inch of the forest on the mountain.
 *
I lost track of time while playing with the white wolf and did not realize how late in the day it was until I sat down in one of the small clearings to rest. The sun was sitting and darkness would fall upon the forest very quickly. I was a long ways from the village and knew that if I returned the way I had come, it would be well into the night before I arrived home.  So I decided that I would take a short cut through the swamp; because it was only a quarter of the distance. If I walked straight through the swamp I would reach the village just before dark. So off I ran deep into the swamp hopping along the top of the muskeg that covered the surface of the marsh.
*
I remember how thick the vegetation became the deeper I entered the swamp. I could hear the sounds of the creatures that dwelled inside its borders. They were not happy about having their home invaded by me or the white wolf and they were making their feeling known to us. The white wolf growled at me in protest as he followed running beside me; he did not like the fact that I was not being careful as to where I placed my feet while moving swiftly across the muskeg. He knew that one wrong step in any direction and I could find myself chest deep in a bog of quicksand.
The rest of the village never ventured into the swamp. They chose to walk around its borders claiming that it was filled with the spirits of lost souls that had become lost within it. But I was not worried about their tales at this moment; I just wanted to get home before dark or I would be in deep trouble with my mother. I threw caution to the wind and ran even faster across the top of the spongy muskeg covered surface.
*
 That was when I noticed him! I saw his silhouette reflecting off the surface of the marsh. The mountain lion was huge and much bigger than any other of the spices I had ever seen before till now. I was startled by his sudden appearance, lost my footing and slipped through a hole in the muskeg.  The swamp sucked me under very quickly and before long I was chest deep in water and quicksand. I knew that if I struggled it would suck me down even faster and that I needed to relax and look for something to grab hold of to pull myself free! There was nothing around me that I could use to do so.
*
The white wolf managed to get to safety; he paced back and forth along the wooded area of the swamp trying to find something he could use to help free me from the quicksand. He became frustrated as he could not find anything and begin to whimper and whine. Go get help!  Wa ya (wolf), I yelled in his direction! Go now!  
*


The white wolf looked back in my direction one last time before disappearing out of my sight and into the forest at the end of the swamp. I knew that I did not stand much of a chance of surviving as the quicksand was pulling me down. I thought about all the stories that I had been told concerning those that entered the swamp and never were seen again. I was frightened and alone with no help in sight and might well become food for the huge mountain lion that now slowly walked on top the muskeg in my direction! That was if the quicksand did not claim me first!
*
I watched as the huge cat slowly moved in my direction; staring intently never taking its eye off me as it came closer and closer! The lion’s mouth was open and I could see its tongue moving side to side as it washed across its whiskers as if tasting the air trying to get the scent of its fallen prey!  Soon he was standing in front of me looking down at my frightened face! I felt my end was very near! What happened next totally shocked and surprised me!
*
Turning completely around the cat faced away from me as if it were going to leave! I could feel its tail against my face as it brushed over it from side to side. The huge cat looked back over its long muscled body in my direction and begins purring softly and brushed his tail across my face again. Reaching up with both my hands, I grabbed a hold of its tail and it began slowly pulling me free of the quicksand and in the direction of safer ground.
*
Once I was out of harm’s way, the mountain lion simply glanced over his shoulder at me for but a brief moment. Then without warning, he turned and ran away back into the dense swamp. I never did see him again for a long time after this incident. But I always knew he was near and watching over me as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment